Downing Hall Site (Plot 5)

A Brownfield site previously developed, with the remains of Downing Hall, built in 1627, damaged by fire in 1922 then dynamited in 1953. In spite of this there are still surviving remains above ground. Underneath the hall are extensive cellars from early times showing the Georgian architecture in the form of vaulted brick ceilings and some later Victorian extensions.